1. Brochure: A 24-page book acts as a brochure and fills the minimum page requirement for free use of the book creation and distribution tools available through Amazon. Not sure what to say? Try answering these questions: A: How did you get into your business? B: Why are you passionate about your work? C: What is your mission? D: What do you want your customers to experience? E: What makes your business unique? F: What do you wish everyone knew (what is your message)? G. Is your current business a result of your dream? If so, what sparked this dream? H. What was the most difficult aspect of accomplishing your dream? Did anyone help you? Include sample reviews of your product/service.
2. Free media attention: a book is not an ad--your book (therefore your work) is mentioned in the media at no cost to you.
3. Inexpensive gift to potential clients: a 24-100 page book with a color cover and black and white interior costs approximately $3-4/book.
4. Gains Trust: sharing some of your advice/soul/challenges/success gains trust of potential clients.
5. Speaking engagements: clubs and libraries love to host authors of books--especially those sharing advice. Being a speaker puts you in front of potential clients and gains free media attention.
6. Television/Radio Interviews: producers in broadcast media look for authors to interview. Appearing on TV and radio costs you nothing.
7. Credibility: potential clients view you as an expert if you have a book.
8. Networking tool: Potential clients are pleased to receive a free book and are unlikely to throw a book away. Turn it into an e-book, and you can send it to potential clients at no cost to you.
9. Email Gathering Tool: offer a free chapter of your book as a pdf in exchange for a potential client's email address. From there, stay connected to them through a monthly newsletter.
10. Potential Income: although it is unlikely you will make much money from book sales--unless you spend a lot of time away from your business promoting it (or hire someone to help you promote it)--some authors do earn extra income from it, especially in speaker fees.
Want Lisa's advice on how to write a book, thought-provoking questions to get started, and how to promote it through press releases, etc? Buy her book: Lisa's Guide for Writers: How to get published and self-published.
If you live in/near New London, Connecticut, and would like to learn how to write and publish a book, Lisa offers one-on-one consultations, workshops for your club, and the following one-day workshops through New London Adult and Continuing Education:
Open to the public. The cost of lunch is $20.00 (Groton Rotary non-members should RSVP to David Brown at: DAVIDBROWN_07@comcast.net).
Would you like Lisa to present "10 Reasons Why Business Owners Should Publish a 24-Page Book (and How)" to your club? She presented something similar, "Why Every Business Owner Should Consider Writing a Book/let," to the East Lyme Business Organization. For a reference, contact, Dr. Joanne Z. Moore, Physical therapist & owner of Shoreline Physical therapy, 131 Boston post Rd, east Lyme. Phone: 860-739-4497, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the author: Lisa Saunders, winner of the National Council for Marketing & Public Relations Gold Medallion, is the author of 10 books, including Lisa's Guide for Writers: How to get published and self-published. Lisa credits her book about her disabled daughter, Anything But a Dog! The perfect pet for a girl with congenital CMV (cytomegalovirus), as partially responsible for her success in getting Connecticut to become the second state in the U.S. to pass a law to battle congenital CMV.
For Lisa's tips on promoting your book, see advice below:
Don’t just take out an ad—gain trust by sharing your story
- Want more free tips? Click on my "Marketing Yourself" PowerPoint. Contact me directly to see about my availability to present these tips to your club or business association by writing to me at LisaSaunders42@gmail.com. References on marketing talks: "Lisa's talk on 'How to Market Yourself' was fabulous. She was very well received by the members who felt she really knew what she was talking about." Anne-Marie Foster, Co-Founder, freshconnections, a networking group for women in business, email@example.com.
- Lisa Saunders speaks on inspiring historical figures, how to market yourself, and topics related to her 10 books. A former campus communications writer for a New York college, she used the publicity skills gained there to help Connecticut become the second state in the U.S. to combat the #1 viral cause of birth defects, congenital cytomegalovirus, which disabled and killed her younger daughter, Elizabeth.
About Lisa Saunders
Lisa, a TV talk show host, speaks to groups about the missions of historic adventurers such as Amelia Earhart (who wanted fame to promote women's rights issues), steps to overcoming adversity, and how to prevent the leading viral cause of disabilities. By scouring out-of-print books and long-forgotten letters, Lisa sheds new light on historic figures and events. She created a little history of her own by using her publicity skills to help Connecticut become the second state in the U. S. to combat congenital cytomegalovirus, the virus that caused her younger daughter's birth defects and death at the age 16. Lisa works as a part-time history interpreter at Mystic Seaport and teaches classes on writing, publishing, and publicity at New London Adult & Continuing Education. A graduate of Cornell University, she is the author of 10 books and winner of the National Council for Marketing & Public Relations Gold Medallion.
Lisa provides writing and publicity services
- Market yourself
- Publicize your expertise
- Learn creative ways to reach customers
- Be seen on TV and YouTube
- Find an audience
- Get published
- Website content
- Press Releases
- Interviews on TV & YouTube
- Publishing on Amazon
- Desktop Publishing
- Social Media Packages
- Internet Marketing
- Networking Opportunities
- Writing/Publishing/Self-Publishing/Publicity workshops
- Private Consultations
- Ghost Writing
- Website Creation
- Application Content Management
- Business Improvement Analysis
- Connecticut Governor Malloy at Chamber of Commerce event.
- College bios/press releases and resulting Articles and awards
- College program guides (webpage for Communication Media Arts)
- Accounting Program Guide (college degree information about career choices, etc.)